—- Appreciates God and Constituents for the Opportunity to Serve.
As the tenure of members of the 7th Abia State House of Assembly comes to an end this week, the Deputy Speaker of the House who represents the people of Ohafia South Constituency has given an account of his stewardship during his time as the representative of the people.
Rt. Hon Ifeanyi Uchendu who was first elected in 2015 and reelected in 2019 for a second time following his exploits in the first tenure has appreciated God and his constituents for the opportunity given to him to serve.
Below is his full text:
My People, Representation is Service: Thank you for the opportunity to serve.
The year 2015 was a remarkable year for me and my good people of Ohafia South Constituency. It was the year God gave us our first mandate through the people to represent and speak for them at the Abia State House of Assembly and by the Special Grace of God, we have been able to give our people a quality representation.
We were also able to redefine legislation and at the same time raised the political consciousness of our people.
Those who have followed our activities since then will agree with us that it has been a harvest of dividends of democracy for the people of Ohafia and even beyond in addition to our primary function of law making.
With our efforts in our first term in Office, our people willingly and wholeheartedly gave us a fresh mandate to represent them for the second time in the year 2019. That decision by our people paid several dividends as it was enough to give us a chance to becoming ‘Ranking Member’ in the house and ultimately becoming the Deputy Speaker of the house with the support of my colleagues.
Since 2015 till date, we have constantly delivered dividends of democracy to the grassroots in support of the Executive. This was against the usual norm/believe that law makers are only elected to make laws and not deliver projects. Today, i make bold to say that we have changed the narratives and thereby awakened the political consciousness of our people.
We made it a point of duty to carry out atleast one project in the 26 villages of Ohafia. In that regard, we delivered the following projects;
★ Borehole Project @ Amaekpu Ohafia.
★ Skill Acquisition Center in Akanu (inherited from Inyom Akanu at Roofing Level) Completed & Equipped.
★ Health Care Center @ Ihenta/Ibina Ohafia (completed & Equipped).
★ Abia North Fire Service Station @ Amaekpu Ohafia (Completed and handed over to the State Government).
★ Skill Acquisition Center @ Amangwu Ohafia (Completed & Equipped).
★ Modern Classroom Block @ Okpocha Primary School, Amaekpu Ohafia (Attracted & Completed).
★ Borehole Project @ Okon Aku Ohafia
★ Modern Classroom Block @ Isiugwu Comprehensive Secondary School, Isiugwu Ohafia (Attracted & Completed).
★ Borehole Project @ Elu Ohafia.
★ Modern Toilet @ Okagwe Ohafia (Completed).
★ Carried out Palliative work @ Ndi Aku/Ndi Uduma Ukwu/Oboro Road at various times.
★ Through our efforts/move, there’s ongoing work towards the Restoration of Electricity in Ohafia following several years of blackout. Though the process is still ongoing, it is important to note that power has returned to the EEDC Power Station in Ohafia while we await the reticulation of electricity to all the communities in Ohafia by the EEDC.
★ We initiated a Palliative work at Nmuri Bridge before the intervention of FERMA.
★ We have also empowered many Ohafia Youths with Deep Freezers, Big Electricity Generating Sets, Washing Machines and Cash to Ohafia Youths to enable them start up their own businesses.
★ Construction of Eziafor Daily/Evening Market (Completed).
★ Building of the Ohafia Unity Hall located at Elu Ohafia (completed).
★ Renovation of the OBIMBA HALL in Amaekpu Ohafia to the best possible standard.
★ Assisted in re-roofing Ndi Ibe Hall.
★ Borehole Project for the people of Ebem Ohafia (Completed).
★ Reticulation of the water scheme at Amankwu and Amuma Communities of Ohafia.
- Renovation of Market Lockup Stores @ Amuma Community.
★ Renovation/Roofing of the Amaekpu Ohafia daily market, popularly known as Ogwuma Amaekpu.
★ Through our effort, 3 communities (Ebem, Eziafor and Okon Aku) recieved one transformer each. It was one of the dividend of democracy our tapped from Abia State Government then led by Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu.
★ Renovation of the Ogbor Awagu, a mini hall at Okon Aku Ohafia.
★ Erosion control measure @ Amoba Section of Amaekpu Ohafia.
★ Assisted the people of Ndi Aku community in fixing the roof of their hall.
★ Grading of some internal roads in Akanu/Abia and Eziafor communities.
★ Donation of Building Materials and cash to Isiugwu Youths to assist them in the ongoing bridge construction @ Obai Isiugwu Ohafia.
- Construction of Nurses/Midwife Staff Quarters at Abia Community (Ongoing).
- Construction of a befitting Palace/Council Hall at Amuke Community (Ongoing).
- Donation of 20 Streetlights and Cash to Ndi Orieke Community.
★ Donation of hundreds of thousands to Age grades and Women Association in various communities of Ohafia to enable them undertake their projects which are all geared towards the development of Ohafia.
★ Free WAEC/JAMB Registration for over 150 Ohafia Students.
★ Attracted four classroom blocks, one at Amaekpu Community Primary School and the other one at Amaetiti Primary School, Asaga, Isiugwu Community Secondary School, Isiugwu and Okpocha Primary School, Amaekpu Ohafia.
★ Facilitated the Employment of Ohafians into Government Agencies/Ministries.
★ Award of Scholarships to some Ohafia Students and assisted in the payment of Acceptance fees of others.
★ Shared over 5,000 pieces of Exercise Books to pupils of some secondary schools in Ohafia during Children’s Day Celebrations.
★ Free Medical Outreach for all the wards (Isiama, Ebem Oha, Ohafor, Ania and Okamu) in Ohafia South constituency where lot’s of people numbering over 3000 with various health challenges were treated free of charge. During the medical outreach, surgical operations were carried out and those who couldn’t foot the bills of their surgical operations prior to the scheme were operated free of charge too.
★ The Covid-19 Lock Down period was another opportunity which we explored to prove to our constituents that we always have their interest at heart.
- During that period, we donated over 100 bags of rice, over 1000 tubers of yam, several cartons of indomie, cartons of milk, Groundnut oil, bags of Salt, Buckets for hand washing, hand sanitizers and detergents. We also made sure that our constitunts and Abians in General always recieved regular informations/updates regarding the Covid-19 Pandemic by sending free monthly data subscription to them.
- In cash, we gave out millions of naira to youths, the elderly persons and others who reached out to us to help caution the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.
★ Through our pet Project, the NWACHINEMERE FOUNDATION, we paid hospital bills of some members of our constituents and sponsored surgical operations for some of them both in FMC, Umuahia and other hospitals in Ohafia and in Aba.
★ We carried out a Youth Empowerment/Skill Acquisition Programme where over 300 Ohafia Youths were trained in various skills.
★ We also empowered some youths in Ohafia South constituency with Cars, Deep freezers, Electric Generating Sets, as well as gave out several hundreds of thousands of money to our youths to start up their choice of businesses.
★ We sponsored 10 Ohafia Youths during the South-East Entrepreneurship training Organized by the Central Bank.
★ We initiated and sponsored the Ohafia Unity Cup Competition for several years in a bid to engage the Youths and identify talents.
★ Through our pet project, The Nwachinemere Foundation, we have been able to touch the lives of people of positively via reaching out to the less privileged, motherless babies homes, the physically challenged persons, victims of fire outbreaks and herdsmen attack.
★ We are also known for donating bags of rice to women of the various communities in Ohafia and the less privileged during Christmas/Easter periods.
★ While we built for our people we also built and donated a Church Hall to the Catholic Church in Elu Ohafia in keeping to our promise to God during the electioneering periods.
★ In our primary assignment of law making, I also distinguished myself
in my position as the Deputy Speaker and the member representing Ohafia South State Constituency.
I have held briefs for Mr. Speaker led many delegation of the Abia State House of Assembly to various states and government institutions.
- We sponsored The Abia State Consumer Protection Agency Law (HAB 6) which seeks to protect the interests of every consumer of both products and services within the state.
- Also sponsored the Motion on ‘The Need to improve Access to Quality Portable Water through the Unbundling of Abia State Water Sector to Allow for Active Private Sector Participation/Partnership.
- Moved the motion on ‘The Need to Reposition the Abia State Road Maintenance Agency (ABROMA) for Effective Service Delivery.
- Moved motions of Urgent Public Importance as it borders on fixing the various Erosion problems in Ohafia and other parts of the state as well as the Nmuri bridge at Ebem Ohafia.
- Being a key player in the business of Legislation, we have lent our voice to important discuss that has affected our people positively particularly on being instrumental in curbing the Hausa/Fulani menace in Ohafia.
- I was also a signatory to the Anti Open Grazing Bill passed into law by members of the 6th Assembly of ABHA which was in a bid to regulate the activities of herdsmen particularly as it concerns their anti economic dealings which reflected in their incessant clashes with farmers due to destruction of crops and other properties within the state.
- Supported the formulation of Legislative framework that will promote the e-collection of revenue and taxes sequel to the presentation of Legislative Roadmap 2015- 2019.
- Sponsored the motion on the need to have a Federal Secretariat in Abia State.
- Sponsored the motion on the need to establish a Fire Service Station in Abia North Senatorial zone (precisely Ohafia being the headquarters). This motion was reviewed severely by the house and was later passed as a bill. That prompted my building of the Fire Service Station which has been completed ans handed over to the state government.
- Motion to eradicate and control quack medical practitioners in Abia state.
- Motion on the need to sensitize the constituents on the recent outbreak of lassa fever.
- Motion on the need to adopt an integrated approach in the control and containment of acute gully erosion in Ohafia south state constituency and it’s environs.
- Motion on the need to adopt proactive measures in response to the 2018 annual flood outlook.
- A bill for a law to establish the Abia state infrastructure maintenance and protection agency and other matters therein.
- Raised the following matters of urgent public importance
(a) the need to fix the Okon Aku bridge.
(b) the need to mandate ASEPA rid Umuahia and the highway of refuse dumps
(c) the need to restore peace in the Ohafia Legislative Council.
- Also sponsored the “Motion on the need to control the unlawful advertisements and sale of unapproved herbal mixtures in Abia state” in a bid to safeguard the health of Abians.
- I have Chaired House Committee on Boundary and Security Matters, Chairman House Committee on Information and Communication, House committee on Lands as well as served as member of other committees of the house.
- I also served as the Minority Whip of the 6th Assembly of ABHA and the Deputy Speaker of the 7th Assembly.
Let me use this opportunity to appreciate God for His Grace and Mercy upon my life which has seen me through in my service to my people.
Special thanks to the immediate past Governor of Abia State, Dr. Okezie Victor Ikpeazu for his role in my political advancement.
Thanks to the Church of God within and outside the State for their continues prayers and intercession.
I appreciate my wife and kids and indeed every member of my family for their patience and support while i served my people.
I couldn’t have done it all alone without the support and hard work of my aides/personal assistants. You all made the job a lot easier and I’m grateful for your services.
Thanks to the custodians of our land (the Traditional Rulers) for their staunch support and to you all my constituents, thank you for trusting me with your votes and for believing so much in me.
I promise to always make myself available for the service of my people whenever called upon. The memories we shared will live with us and spur us to achieve greater things tomorrow.
God bless you all 🙏.